The road to the quarter finals has never been straightforward [Vídeo]

Marathon matches to kick off the last sixteen of the Cerveza Victoria Mijas-Costa del Sol Open

The road to the quarter finals has never been straightforward [Vídeo]

The last sixteen started at Plaza de la Virgen de la Peña with Franco Stupaczuk - Cristian Gutiérrez vs. Martín Sánchez Piñeiro - José Antonio García Diestro. A break in the third game gave Cristian and Stupa the advantage and they raced away to win 6-1 in 45 minutes. However, in the start of the second set Martín Sánchez Piñeiro exploded into life. A force of nature that stunned Cristian and Stupa and broke their serve. The Argentines reacted but it was too late and the Spanish duo took the set 6-4. Visibly affected, the Argentines lost their serve at the start of the third set too but they managed to pull together and break a couple of times to win 6-2 in an hour and 57 minutes.

The second match in the morning session of the Cerveza Victoria Mijas-Costa del Sol Open saw Nacho Gadea and German Tamame come up against Juani Mieres and Miguel Lamperti. A duel that was going to test not only both pairings' padel but also their mental and physical strength. After six games and some spectacular rallies, Gadea and Tamame broke. But their joy was short lived as Miguel Lamperti showed his competitive nature and character to get back in it. They broke back in the eighth and broke once again in the ninth to force a tiebreak. Here, Mieres showed the class that he's displayed for years. This added to Lamperti's precision gave the duo from Bahia Blanca the first set 7-6 in almost an hour and 20 minutes. That tiebreak gave Gustavo Pratto's men wings and they found it much easier in the second set. 6-2 in under 38 minutes to cap off a remarkable two hour marathon.

Jordi Muñoz and Juan Lebrón had to finish their first round encounter with Seba Nerone and Alex Ruíz, which had been suspended because of the rain the day before with Muñoz and Lebron a set up and Ruiz-Nerone leading 4-3 in the second set. Nerone and Ruiz broke and won the set 6-4 to force a decider.

Momentum was with the Spanish/Argentine pairing, who dominated the first three games of the final set. Nerone worked every point for Ruiz to step in and decide with his powerful left arm. Their opponents found no responde until the seventh game, when they cut down their unforced errors and took control of the net to claim four of the following five games and win 6-4. Godo Diaz and Lucho Capra await them in the last sixteen.

The morning session ended with Uri Botello - Fernando Poggi vs. Aday Santana - Álvaro CeperoAn extremely matched affaire in which both forehand court players attempted to dictate play. Poggi and Botello broke in the ninth game and went on to win the first set 7-5 after an hour and seven minutes.

The second set got off to an even start. In the seventh game, Cepero and Santana switched through the gears to dominate and they never looked back, winning 6-3 in an hour and 47 minutes.

In the third set, fatigue was a key factor. Poggi and Botello went on the attack again and broke. They held onto that lead until it was 5-3, when they served for the match. One last reaction from Santana and Cepero got them back in the match, and then they had to save up to three match points on serve in the following game. An epic end to the match, which had to be decided in a tiebreak. Neither pairing sat back and produced some mouth-watering rallies. Two strokes of genius from Cepero and Santana gave them the set 7-6 and the match in 2h and 47 minutes.




Más noticias

Main Partner

Premium Sponsors

Official Sponsors