The rain affects the opening round in Mijas [Vídeo]

The rain affected the day's play in Mijas

The rain affects the opening round in Mijas [Vídeo]

Action got underway for the first time on centre court at the Plaza de la Virgen de la Peña de Mijas with the first round match of the Cerveza Victoria Mijas-Costa del Sol Open between Gonzalo Díaz - Luciano Capra and Víctor Ruiz Remedios - Gonzalo Rubio.

Both pairings lost their opening service games. No one seemed capable of holding on as Diaz and Capra were broken in the third game again. But they were the first pairing to hold onto serve. A turning point that was marked by the genius of Godo Diaz who started punishing his opponents with his heavy hitting. He was well supported by Lucho Capra, who brought out his impressive lefty stroked everytime a ball was played short. Ruiz and Rubio's unforced errors prevented them from fighting for the first set which they ended up losing 6-2. The match followed a similar pattern in the second set. Godo and Lucho broke in the seventh game and won 6-3 in an hour and 39 minutes.

Action at the Club Cerrado del Águila began with Borja Yribarren - Juan Manuel Vázquez taking on Matías Marina - Javier ConcepciónAn all-out battle which took almost two and a half hours. The first set went to Marina and Concepcion 6-4. Borja and Guga reacted to win the second 6-4. In the last set Marina and Concepcion made the most of their advantage to win 6-3.

The second match on centre court threw up an attractive clash between Aday Santana - Álvaro Cepero and Peter Alonso - Javier Ruíz. Alonso and Ruiz took control early on, leading 4-2. But Cepero and Santana reacted and won the first set 7-5.

In the second set, Alonso and Ruiz were at their best again, choosing their shots perfectly. A break in the sixth game made them lead 4-2 once again. But the exact same thing happened as in the first set, with Santana and Cepero fighting back and winning 7-0 in the tiebreak.

Ignacio Gadea - Germán Tamame versus Gabriel Reca - Aris Patiniotis. The first match for the latter together as a pairing. Gadea and Tamame set the tempo in the first set. Nacho Gadea was solid at the net and Tamame tremendously inspired to win the first set 6-2. Things levelled out in the second set as Aris and Gaby cut down their unforced errors. But the set would be decided in a tiebreak, and once again it was Tamame and Gadea who would win and move on.

The afternoon session kicked off on centre court with Guillermo Lahoz and Pablo Lijó playing Cristian Gutiérrez - Franco StupaczukAn exchange of winners marked the first six games, with Lijo and Stupa standing out in each pairing. In the seventh game, Cristian Gutierrez and Franco Stupaczuk broke for the first time to lead 4-3 and won 6-4 in 49 minutes.

They took that momentum into the second set, where they broke in the fifth game. They had the chance to close out the match at 5-2 on serve but Lijo and Lahoz had one last reaction left in them. However, Gutierrez's serve would ultimately put an end to the match at 6-4.

At the Club Cerrado del Águila, the afternoon began with Antonio "Pincho" Fernández and Lucas Da Cunha Bergamini facing Gerard Company and Rubén Rivera. Despite Company's injury struggles, the Catalan managed to get through the entire match. But the match went to the Spanish/Brazilian duo by 6-2 / 6-3.

On the same court, José Antonio García Diestro and Martín Sánchez Piñeiro also advanced to the last sixteen after beating Cristian Germán Gutiérrez and Raúl Díaz. A tiebreak decided the first set in favour of Diestro and Piñeiro. Buoyed by that lead, they settled in the second set and won 6-2 to move on firmly to the next round.

Uri Botello and Fernando Poggi had the mission of overcoming lucky losers Ricardo Martínez Sánchez and Andrés Britos. Poggi and Botello dominated the first set and broke Britos and Martinez twice. They managed to regain one of those breaks but it wasn't enough to stop Mariano Amat's men from winning the set 6-3. The second set was much more straightforward, with Poggi and Botello taking the first five games before winning 6-1 in an hour and 12 minutes, in a match that was stopped for five minutes because of the rain.

The penultimate match at Plaza de la Virgen de la Peña pitted together youth and experience as Federico Chingotto and Juan Tello took on Federico Quiles and Marcello JardimQuiles and Jardim took the first set 6-4. Jardim's accuracy and Quiles' power were proving too much for their opponents. A 3-0 lead in the second set made it seem as if it was just a matter of time for the match to come to an end. But Tello and Chingotto showed their pride to recover and force a tiebreak. But here, it was Quiles and Jardim who imposed themselves to win 7-6 in 90 minutes.

One of the surprises in the main draw, Javier Garrido Gómez and Javier González Barahona, faced the pairing making the biggest impact on tour this season, Alejandro Galán and Juan Cruz BelluatiGalan and Belluati dominated the match comfortably. 6-3 in the first set and 6-2 in the second put an end to Garrido and Gonzalez's dream run into their first ever main draw at an Open.


The action at Cerrado del Águila came to an end with Ramiro Moyano - Adrián Allemandi  vs. Adrián Blanco Antelo - Raúl Marcos. Another of the pairings playing together for the first time at this tournament, Blanco and Ramos, saw themselves overcome by Moyano and Allemandi by 6-2 / 6-2.

The day concluded with Jordi Muñoz - Juan Lebrón vs. Alejandro Ruíz - Sebastián Nerone. In their first tournament together, Juan Lebron and Jordi Muñoz seemed to gel together perfectly. Muñoz proved he was in great form after having won the Joma Murcia Challenger last week, and he helped Lebron to win the first set 6-3 after 49 minutes. They took an early break in the second set and things started to look bleak for Nerone and Ruiz. But they recovered that break in the second set. At 4-3 the rain started to fall and forced the match to be suspended until tomorrow.

Más noticias

Main Partner

Premium Sponsors

Official Sponsors