A vibrant first round comes to an end

The last six pairings reach the second round in Andorra

A vibrant first round comes to an end

The afternoon session began in Andorra. Uri Botello and Javi Ruíz took on Ricky Martinez and Andres Britos on court two. There was a surprise in the first set, as Ricky and Britos won and took a step closer to the last sixteen. In the second set, Uri and Javi managed to turn the match around and proved that they're a very solid pairing. They brought out their best padel to turn the match around, winning 6-3 / 6-2 to reach the second round on Thursday.

One of the best matches of the day took place on centre court. Fede Quiles and Marcello Jardim were up against the winners of the Marseille Challenger, Germán Tamame and Nacho GadeaThe first set belonged to Severino Iezzi's men and there wasn't much Jardim and Quiles could do as they lost 6-1. In the second set, as expected, the match tightened up. After twelve games, it headed into a tiebreak, which after twelve points was also even, at 6-6. Fede and Marcello didn't take their set point and Tamame-Gadea won to reach the second round.

We returned to Club Principadel. Peter Alonso and Aris Patiniotis took on Matias Nicoletti and Cristian Germán Gutiérrez. It was a long and entertaining match which the fans enjoyed from start to finish. Peter and Aris struck first to win the opening set 6-4. A scoreline which was repeated in the second set but the other way round. A very open third set offered a great spectacle. The pairing that best handled the pressure went on to claim the win. Alonso and Patiniotis broke and won 6-3 to reach the last sixteen of the Vallbanc Andorra Open.

A clash which was worthy of a quarter final, Adrián "Tito" Allemandi and Juan Lebrón vs. Ramiro Moyano and Maxi Grabiel was next on court. Team work, hard work, sacrifice and consistency. These four skills were needed to win the first set and all four players displayed it. A tiebreak was necessary in the first set and it went to the duo from La Plata. The second set was a carbon copy of the first. There were a series of breaks and counterbreaks which offered a tense match of padel. It was 4-2 to Rodrigo Ovide's men and, after grabbing another break, Lebron and Allemandi drifted away from the next round. The second set ended 6-3 and Maxi and Ramiro won in an hour and forty minutes.

Play came to an end on court 2 with a top drawer match between Gonzalo Díaz - Luciano Capra and Juan Restrivo - Martín Di Nenno. After the four first games, Godo and Lucho started to take control, breaking their opponents thanks to their unforced errors and Godo Diaz's precision at the net. The Argentines held on to that advantage to win the set 6-3.

The second set was similar but more complicated for Di Nenno and Restrivo, added by the fact that Restrivo needed a medical timeout for a back injury. Godo and Lucho held onto a break once again comfortably and won 6-3 to make the last sixteen.

The day came to an end on centre court with Aday Santana and Álvaro Cepero vs José Antonio García Diestro and Martín Sánchez PiñeiroOnce the match started, Martin Sanchez Piñeiro felt dizzy and the match had to stop briefly. Santana and Cepero took a 1-0 lead by breaking in the first game and then extended their lead to 3-0. Sanchez Piñeiro improved increasingly and Diestro caused a lot of damage at the net. In the second set, Santana and Cepero lost their serve in the fourth game after Piñeiro's powerful strokes came out to play. But Horacio Álvarez Clementi stayed in it and broke back to level the match. A morale boost for Santana and Cepero who broke in the seventh game and forced a third set by winning 6-4. In the last set there was an exchange of breaks but Diestro and Piñeiro were more precise and won 6-3 to reach the last sixteen after 2 hours and 31 minutes.

The last sixteen of the Vallbanc Andorra Open are served!


Más noticias

Main Partner

Premium Sponsors

Official Sponsors