12 pairings reach the last 16 in Gran Canaria [Vídeo]

The top four seeds enter the action tomorrow in Gran Canaria

12 pairings reach the last 16 in Gran Canaria [Vídeo]

The Gran Canaria Isla Europea del Deporte 2017 Open got underway with the first round. The battle for the last sixteen kicked off at the Gran Canaria Arena with Raúl Díaz and Cristian Germán Gutiérrez taking on Godo Díaz and Luciano CapraThe first set went to Diaz and Capra 6-4. The difference would be greater in the second set, which also went Diaz and Capra's way 6-1 in under an hour and two minutes.

At Gran Canaria Padel, Borja Yribarren and Juan Manuel Vázquez were looking for a place in the last sixteen against Raúl Marcos and Adrián Blanco AnteloMarcos and Blanco Antelo took the first set 6-3. The second set followed a similar pattern, with Marcos and Blanco dominatin their serves and winning 6-4 to reach the last sixteen of an Open for the first time as a pairing.

In the second turn on centre court, Matías Marina and Javier Concepción played Maxi Grabiel and Ramiro MoyanoAn exchange of breaks marked the first set. In the end, Grabiel and Moyano won it in the tiebreak after over an hour and ten minutes. In the second set, Marina and Concepcion reacted and took a 3-1 lead. But the pairing from La Plata turned it on once again and took the next five games to win 6-3 and claim their first win since reuniting.

José Antonio García Diestro and Martín Sánchez Piñeiro encountered a marathon match against Ruben Rivera and Gerard Company. The first set went to Diestro and Piñeiro 6-3. Things evened out in the second set as Company and Rivera responded to win 6-4. In the last set, with over two hours on the match clock, Diestro and Piñeiro attacked and were rewarded with a place in the last sixteen after winning 6-4 in two hours and fifteen minutes.

Ignacio Gadea and Germán Tamame took on the winners of the Mijas Open, Franco Stupaczuk and Cristian Gutiérrez. The players coached by Carlos Pozzoni got off to a good start, breaking their opponents' serve and holding on until the end of the set to win 6-4. Despite the apparent dominance of Cristian and Stupa, their opponents, coached by Severino Iezzi, put up a good fight and had various break point opportunities which they didn't convert. In the end another 6-4 scoreline left the Argentines in the second round.

Things are going well for one of the new pairings at this Open, Matías Nicoletti and Gonzalo Rubiowho beat Aris Patiniotis and Gabriel Reca 6-2 / 6-3 in just over an hour and twenty minutes.

Federico Quiles and Marcello Jardim took on David García Campos and Agustín Gutiérrez, who were one of the surprises from the previous round and were looking to pull off another upset as they claimed the first set 6-3. In the second set, Quiles and Jardim took four of the first five games and ended up making it one set all as they responded at 6-2. The Brazilian and Argentine used the same recipe in the final set to win 6-2 after an hour and 58 minutes.

Javier Escalante and Toni Bueno had Federico Chingotto and Juan Tello with their backs against the wall after winning the first set 6-4. Tello and Chingotto turned it around by winning the following two sets 6-4 to reach the second round after more than two hours.

The penultimate clash on centre court saw the debut of Víctor Ruiz and Jordi Muñoz as a pairing against Juan Cruz Belluati and Alejandro GalánIt was the first time the latter were seeded for an event and they showed just why as they won the first set 6-3. There were no changes to the script in the second set, despite Muñoz and Ruiz grabbing a break, as Galan and Belluati won 6-3 again to reach the last sixteen in just over an hour and 12 minutes.

Alejandro Ruiz and Sebastián Nerone had to battle for over two hours against Uri Botello and Fernando Poggi. Botello and Poggi took the first set 7-6 but Nerone and Ruiz didn't give up and turned it around to reach the second round after winning the following two sets 6-4 and 6-1.

The day at the Gran Canaria Arena came to an end with local idol Aday Santana playing with Álvaro Cepero against Pablo Lijo and Guillermo Lahoz. An all-out battle which produced a mammoth first set. After over an hour and ten minutes there was still no winner in the first set. Lijo and Lahoz took the first set in a tiebreak after an hour and 24 minutes. Santana and Cepero reacted quickly in the second set and won 6-1. Almost two hour and 40 minutes were needed for Santana and Cepero to win 6-4 in the final set.

The last pairing to reach the last sixteen was Adrián Allemandi and Juan Lebrón who beat Pedro Alonso-Martínez and Javier Ruiz. An incredibly long match went to the Spanish/Argentine couple 7-6 / 6-7 /6-4 in two hours and forty minutes.

The last sixteen will take place on Thursday with the top four seeds entering the action, including the return of Fernando Belasteguín.


Más noticias

Main Partner

Premium Sponsors

Official Sponsors